Skip to main content
Business - Renfrewshire Council
You are in Meetings

Meeting Details

Forum for Empowering Communities Group
11 Mar 2021 - 14:00 to 16:00
  • Documents
  • Attendance
  • Visitors
  • Declarations of Interests

Documents

Agenda

Agenda
Notification
Committee Members
Membership
S McDonald, Active Communities; M Mathieson, Barnados; I McLean, Bridgewater Housing Association; J Gonani, DEAR; A McNiven, Engage Renfrewshire; J Wilby, Paisley West & Central Community Council; S McLellan, RAMH; S Cruickshank, Renfrewshire Access Panel; G Lovesey, Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau; C Forbes, ROAR; and C Masson, Save the Children.
Chair
A McNiven, Chief Executive, Engage Renfrewshire.
A McNiven, Chief Executive, Engage Renfrewshire, presided.
Standard Items
Items Of Business
Apologies
Apologies from members.
G Lovesey, Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau; I McLean, Bridgewater Housing Association; C Masson, Save the Children; M Hill, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.
Declarations of Interest
Members are asked to declare an interest in any item(s) on the agenda and to provide a brief explanation of the nature of the interest.
There were no declarations of interest intimated prior to commencement of the meeting.
Minute of previous meeting held on 17 November 2020.
  1. pdf FEC 17 Nov 20 (134Kb)
1
There was submitted the Minute of the meeting of the Renfrewshire Forum for Empowering Communities Group held on 17 November 2020.

DECIDED:    That the Minute be approved.
2 Matters Arising
2
In relation to Item 4 – Local Hubs, S Graham advised that the Hubs were still in operation and January 2021 was the busiest month to date since Covid-19 commenced in March 2020.  He intimated that the Community Planning team were developing plans for the future and were looking at integrating the Hubs into mainstream work.

In relation to Item 2 – Matters Arising S McLellan asked if there had been any feedback in relation to his query on conditions of grant for directors to sign.  S Graham advised that this was being looked in to and he would update the Group on progress at a future meeting.

DECIDED:  That it be agreed that S Graham to update the Group on progress in relation to feedback on query on conditions of grant for directors to sign at a future meeting.
Report by Director of Finance & Resources.
  1. pdf RAL (12Kb)
3
The Rolling Action Log was submitted for approval.

RFG. 17.11.20(2) – Greener Communities - S Graham and J Wilby updated the Group on the projects which had taken place with the Clyde River Foundation.

RFG.12.06.19(2) – Membership of the Forum – It was agreed that the Clerk would reissue the biography forms to existing members to update and send forms to the new members.

RFG. 28.11.19(9) – Stay Mobile/Stay Connected – C Forbes advised that she would be chairing the Falls Prevention Renfrewshire Group on 12 April 2021 and would update the Group at the next meeting.

RFG 03.09.20(4) – Mutual Support – A McNiven advised that more dates had been set for meetings this year and members would be advised in due course.

DECIDED

(a)  That it be agreed that the Clerk would reissue the biography forms to existing members to update and send forms to the new members.

(b)  That it be agreed that C Forbes update the Group on feedback received from the Renfrewshire Falls Prevention Group at the next meeting; and

(c)  That the Rolling Action Log be approved.
Report by Chief Executive, RAMH.
  1. pdf RAMH Report (90Kb)
4
There was submitted a report by S McLellan, RAMH relative to the Independent Review of Adult and Social Care in Scotland.  The link to which was included within the report.

The review was commissioned by Scottish Ministers in September 2020 with the Core remit recommending improvements to adult social care in Scotland.  The report recognised that adult social care in Scotland was one of ‘’unrealised potential’’ and highlighted the importance of collaborative partnerships with people who had a right to receive care, in association with providers.

The report recommended the establishment of a ‘’National Care Service’, with equal status to that given to NHS Scotland and outlined key functions and fundamental areas for consideration.  Particular reference was made to challenges transporting care services across geographical boundaries, hence the focus on a National service, which would oversee care delivery.  The report also recommended: changes, as necessary, to the scope and numbers of Integration Joint Boards, whilst recognising the relevance of evolution in their function; wider community participation in governance of IJB’s and associated bodies; and proposals were being considered which focused on co-production, peer involvement and general partnerships with communities, individuals and providers across the third sector.

Staff issues were addressed within the report and noted the current employment baseline numbers as 148,000 people directly employed in Adult social care in Scotland, 83% of whom were female.  Recommendations included: rapid delivery of the Fair Work convention recommendations; national job evaluation; career progression pathways; minimum terms and conditions; and national training and professional oversight.

The report stimulated discussion, and it was agreed that Forum Members would work with colleagues in statutory services to contribute local initiatives to reflect the substance of the final recommendations.  The Chair thanked S McLellanfor bringing the report to the Group.

DECIDED:  

(a)  That it be agreed that Forum Members work with colleagues in statutory services to contribute local initiatives to reflect the substance of the final recommendations; and

(b)  That the report be noted.
5 DEAR Group Update
Verbal update by the DEAR Group.
5(a)
J Gonani, DEAR gave a verbal presentation and advised the Group of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) long-term objectives.

A McNiven advised the Group that he had sent an email to Members offering his support for both the mission statement of the Black Lives Matter Renfrewshire Chapter and its objectives which was presented at the Forum meeting on 17 November 2020  He encouraged members of the Forum to consider their support and the objectives of the Black Lives Matter Renfrewshire Chapter from the perspective of their own organisations, especially where they could promote the priorities.

The update stimulated discussion and it was agreed that S Graham would discuss the BLM strategy with the Head of Policy & Commissioning and the Community Planning Team to ensure that Community Planning partners were connected to the aims and objectives of the strategy and that it fed into the wider community planning system.

DECIDED:

(a)  That it be agreed that S Graham discuss the BLM strategy with the Head of Policy & Commissioning and the Community Planning Team to ensure that Community Planning partners were connected to the aims and objectives of the strategy and that it fed into the wider community planning system; and

(b)  That the verbal update be noted.
Report by DEAR Group.
5(b)
There was submitted a report by the Diversity Equality Alliance in Renfrewshire Group (DEAR) relative to the Annual Update report 2020.

The report advised that at the beginning of 2020 the DEAR group established new terms of reference and agreed key outcomes along with operational structures on how the outcomes would be delivered. Under the new arrangements, the Group also agreed to produce annual update reports which aimed to provide an update on key achievements and developments.

The report provided an overview of the DEAR Group's activity, highlighted partnership working and major developments between January and December 2020.

DECIDED:  That the DEAR Group annual update report 2020 be noted.
Verbal presentation by DEAR Group.
5(c)
A presentation was given by S Kraft relative to the Impact of Covid-19 and Lockdown on Renfrewshire’s Equality communities.

The presentation gave a brief overview of the listening exercise which was carried out between 15 and 22 December 2020 and 6 and 15 January 2021 which took the form of a group discussion and five one-to-one interviews and an online survey.  The research limitations were highlighted along with the results of what had affected people most during the coronavirus pandemic and the key findings of the exercise.

S MacLellan advised that a new leaflet was being developed in conjunction with the Health & Social Care Partnership and other local organisations which detailed core organisations as a first point of contact that people could get in touch with.  He intimated that the leaflet was be distributed as widely as possible and in a variety of languages and would be the start of a multi-lingual information and communication process.

DECIDED:  That the presentation and update be noted
Presentation by Community & Partnerships Manager, Engage Renfrewshire.
6
K McIntyre gave a presentation in relation to an update on the projects/groups she was involved with.

She outlined the present position in relation to the Early Action System Change; Barnardos Mental Health & Wellbeing Strategic Partnership; Home & Belonging; Improving the Cancer Journey; and Renfrewshire Affordable Credit Alliance.

Members noted that a premises directory was being developed by Engage Renfrewshire and was due to be launched on their website the following week.  K McIntyre also advised that a Renfrewshire Recipes page was being developed to help families cooking on a budget.  It was noted that Renfrewshire Recipes would be launched on 7 April 2021 (National Healthy Eating Day).

DECIDED:   That the updates be noted.
7 Update from Other Community Planning Groups
Verbal update.
7
A verbal update was given by members who had been present at the other Community Planning groups.

DECIDED:   That the updates be noted.
8 Date of Next Meeting
The next meeting of the Forum for Empowering Communities Group will take place on 8 June 2021 at 2pm.
8
DECIDED:  That it be agreed that the next meeting of the Forum for Empowering Communities Group would take place on 8 June 2021 at 2pm.

Attendance

Name
No attendance information has been recorded for the meeting.
Name
No other member attendance information has been recorded for the meeting.
NameReason for Sending ApologySubstituted By
No apology information has been recorded for the meeting.
NameReason for AbsenceSubstituted By
No absentee information has been recorded for the meeting.

Declarations of Interests

Member NameItem Ref.DetailsNature of DeclarationAction
No declarations of interest have been entered for this meeting.

Visitors

Visitor Information is not yet available for this meeting